SpongeBob Squarepants The Movie:
· Placing breakables
· Creation of breakable/crate puzzles
Joel Goodsell, the Lead Designer of SpongeBob Squarepants The Movie, is an established game design veteran who gave me my first “shot” at a design role. Currently, he’s one of the heavy hitters at Insomniac Games. Thanks, Joel.
This was my first game in a full time designer role. No actual “combat” design here. Just pure wave behavior and some dabbling into level design by introducing some interactive set pieces that enhanced the battles.Ratatouille
- Tons of pre-production mechanics test level building
- Tons of pre-production mini-game building
- Prototyped a chase level ala Crash Bandicoot chase levels
- Production: Responsible for creating missions within one of the worlds
No geometry building; just layering missions onto already designed environments (platforming missions no less, so you could imagine retrofitting these kinds of missions into already designed environments. Yikes! But I digress.)
As you can see, no combat design experience whatsoever. So how do I currently find myself in such a specialized role as a Combat Designer on God of War 3? Two words: Street Fighter.
Part 2 coming soon.