- Save spots: I pay $60 for a survival horror experience. Please allow me to save more often. I have other things to do in my day than to spend time reaching a save point
- Health pacing: Before an encounter, put some health in easy-to-find spots
- Health Cheat: Starting a save with very little health makes for one night of shirt ripping and controller throwing. Throw the player a little bone by giving him just a tad of pity health when he restarts. Just a tad. A teeny weeny tad.
- Skipping previously viewed cutscenes: I saw it once; I don’t need to see it again
- Combat Camera Zoom: Bringing the camera in closer when a monster appears works in a fairly open space, but not in a room with two monsters
- Cheap Hits: It's no fun getting hit during reaction
- Camera Connected To Character's Turn Speed: The camera rotation isn't independent of the character makes for one slow rotating camera. Adds to the fear as well as the frustration
- Suspension of Disbelief 1: The main character just came face-to-face with a zombie and then the next cutscene he’s calm and wondering where his brother is…and doesn’t mention that fact he just tangled with the undead? This happens numerous times where he’s oblivious to what just happened.
- Suspension of Disbelief 2: He goes home to his mom’s house (pre-zombie encounter) but he opens some doors by shoulder ramming them and some by turning the knob? I want my player character’s demeanor and movement and actions to reflect his current knowledge of his surroundings and past
- Suspension of Disbelief 3: Pre-zombie encounter, I cannot un-equip his knife..and I’m in his mom’s house
- Huh? Started off in a nightmare, but still can keep my weapons I found in the nightmare?
- Is this next-gen?: The path is blocked…by a teeny weeny pile of debris but I can't climb over. Classic gameism. (I’m not for or against this, just stating it)
- Argh! In this day and age, there is no invert camera option?????????????????
- Menu Combat: Weapon selection: instead of holding left or right to rotate the weapon stash, I have to aim and then hold a precise analog direction towards the weapon to highlight...Many times, I miss selecting the weapon of my choice
- Visiting Menus: Can’t seem to quick select a weapon (w/out going into a menu). Not a big fan of constant menu visiting
- Why? I can't cancel into map select during gun aim mode
Monday, October 6, 2008
The Little Things Add Up And Begin To Detract From The Overall Experience Rant (Yes, when I spend $60, I have every right to nitpick)
I want to experience many things in my day besides playing video games all day. I spend most of my video game $$$ on experience-based games as opposed to skill-type or mechanic based games. I want my experience to go as smoothly as possible while providing me some kind of flowing challenge. As I get older, my playing patience and tolerance starts to dwindle to the point where every little thing affects the overall experience. Below are just some nitpicky ranting items that I have started to have a more keen sense for as I get older. I'm not saying it's good or bad design to have have/not have these elements. And, yes, I know this has been written about ad nauseam on the interwebs, but I don't care. Anyways, I'll probably just keep adding to this list